As with any mechanical system, your HVAC, your furnace, and your dryer vent require regular maintenance to perform at their peak efficiency. If your heating system seems to be letting you down recently, you may not need to replace it. You may just need an air duct cleaning, a furnace cleaning, and/or a dryer vent cleaning to restore your home to top working order.
Do I need my vents cleaned?
So long as you are performing the regular maintenance on your systems yourself, you may not need professional air vent cleaning, furnace cleaning or dryer vent cleaning. Regular maintenance includes changing filters, dusting vents and mechanical parts, and keeping your eyes open for leaks, puddles, and mold on or around your HVAC and furnace.
But if things are going wrong, a professional may be able to fix your problems without the expense of having to buy a new system or new parts. The following are signs that it may be time to call in an air duct cleaning professional:
- Mold. Mold in your air ducts or in the insulation is the number one reason to contact an air duct cleaning professional immediately. Some molds can be hazardous to your family’s health. If you see growths or stains that don’t go away or immediately come back, contact a licensed air duct cleaning contractor right away.
- Infestation. If you’ve got insects or rodents in your walls, your vents may be one of the places they are hiding. A thorough air duct cleaning, furnace cleaning, and dryer vent cleaning will not only clean out the animals but remove any droppings or other leavings they may have created.
- Allergies or Asthma. Got someone in your family sensitive to air quality? Cleaning out your air ducts, through which all the air in your house circulates, may reduce the quantity of dust and other particulates in the air, irritating the respiratory system.
- Pets. Pet hair, dander, feathers, shavings, or other leavings create an extra level of particles in your home that can gum up your mechanical systems and the air ducts, furnace, and dryer vents of your San Ramon home.
Making the right hire
Finding your San Ramon air duct cleaning, furnace cleaning, and dryer vent cleaning professional is easy, if you know what to look for. There are many qualified contractors in the East Bay, so finding the right one for you is as simple as following this list.
- Ask around. Have your friends or family had their ducts cleaned recently? Do they have anyone they can recommend to you?
- Go online. Check your yellow pages or other online directory. Look for reviews from consumers like you. What are other people saying about this contractor?
- Check the license. The state of California requires a special license for air duct cleaning services. Ask your San Ramon area professional about his paperwork and qualifications.
- Does he know the standards? The National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) posts the most up to date recommendations for service on their website. Is your contractor familiar with this organization?
- Does he know your system? Check to see if your air duct cleaning, furnace cleaning, and dryer vent cleaning professional has experience working on your particular type of HVAC and furnace. If he has references, call them.
- Check the quote. An air duct cleaning professional will provide you with a written quote, specifying the services to be performed, the estimated time it will take and detailing the costs of parts and labor.
A thorough air duct cleaning, furnace cleaning, and dryer vent cleaning should take anywhere from 3 to 8 hours depending upon the size of your house. By the time he is through, your air duct cleaning contractor should have accessed all vents, all parts of the system, and left your HVAC and furnace in clean working order.